Pink Friday Manila

Monday, July 09, 2012


I never appreciated rap until Nicki Minaj came in the music scene. The feminine attack on a male-dominated genre, the slightly-toned-down sex imagery which is often strong with other female rappers, the fantasies and chants coming from fast but great music - all of these created the PINK dimension of the rap. So when I heard that Nicki Minaj is coming to Manila, I didn't hesitate to watch and see her perform live!
It was indeed a PINK day! I wore my pink wig from Catwalk Cosmetics, that Maybelline Color Sensational lipstick in Fuchsia and I'm Mikki Minaj! Good thing other people saw that too ;) While there were seats already in the mosh pit area at SM MOA Arena, I stood up and and danced with that super bass - figuratively and literally as I was very near the speakers!!  Nonetheless, I was able to get good pictures also, thanks to Canon S100!
As for the performance, she opened the event with the below costume and Nicki was really pretty and colorful! There was also a DJ who played the less familiar songs from her albums while she's changing costumes.
Her dancers were great performers and they kept the pink spirit alive! And yes, they were almost naked the whole time!!
The fearless Nicki, didn't just dance well, but also sing with heart. That pink and shimmering microphone allowed us to witness her great voice despite the kind of genre she's into.
Speaking of great music, after performing a lot of upbeat ones from Pink Friday, she sang "Fire Burns" - the one you're hearing now - and introduced her new album, "Roman Reloaded" which houses this song.  Before singing this, she asked the audience, “Have you ever had your heart broken? I had my heart broken once and I wanted to kill him. He deserved it.” This was revealing indeed, but if we get deeper into all her songs, actually, this shouldn't be a surprise.
Then I kinda felt that something deeper and beyond reality that lived inside a Nicki Minaj. According to Wikipedia, indeed, "while growing up, Minaj's home life was often chaotic, with her parents constantly fighting. As a means of escape, she would create characters and live her life through them. In an interview with New York she stated, 'To get away from all their fighting, I would imagine being a new person. 'Cookie' was my first identity – that stayed with me for a while. I went on to 'Harajuku Barbie,' then 'Nicki Minaj'. Fantasy was my reality' " (http://nymag.com/guides/summer/2010/66786/)
As for me, her fantasies - pink friday, roman reloaded - actually influenced me in a way that it has helped me or maybe you, through music like "Last Chance" and "Fly", create fantasies as well, that help us in trying to solve the realities that we face everyday. And thanks Nicki Minaj for that!
Then she performed more and made us witness great fantasies before she left. She sang the more famous songs like "Super Bass", "Starships", etc with the blue wig, her signature facial expressions and look ;)
Nicki was a close to tears before she ended the concert! She said that Philippines was similar to her home country in Trinidad & Tobago. 
Moreover, before she left, she invited some teens and girls to dance with her. And she really loved the little girls! According to Wikipedia, "in an interview with Interview, Minaj commented on her sexual image again stating, "I made a conscious decision to try to tone down the sexiness, I want people—especially young girls—to know that in life, nothing is going to be based on sex appeal. You’ve got to have something else to go with that.” And she was able to show that ;)

Lastly, one reason that I would like to believe on the rationale behind a PINK Friday, and maybe a Nicki Minaj, is her different approach on rap which obviously touched millions of people around the world, including the Philippines. According to her, "I think the world is getting more gay-friendly, so hip-hop is too. But it's harder to imagine an openly gay male rapper being embraced, people view gay men as having no street credibility. But I think we'll see one in my lifetime."(http://www.details.com/celebrities-entertainment/music-and-books/201005/hip-hop-artist-nicki-minaj) 
This was the poster used for the Pink Friday tour Promotions and her new album, Pink Friday: Roman Holiday. Really lovin' this look! Stay tuned for an LOTD!
Thanks Nicki for the Pink and Roman inspiration, and I hope you continue producing fantasies for everyone who wants (or doesnt want) to listen to you.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. You look gorgeous with that hair! <3

    mamibells.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, really? Thanks Bella! ;) it should be straight nga e since Nicki's pink hair was straight. but it was ok. Thanks so much!!!

      Delete
  2. So you might be one of those girls with the pink hair! My cousin and I were at Lower Box and during the breaks we were just spotting people with colored hairs and their outfits. Hello Mikki! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I liked your blog, it looks interesting! I offer you my sincere friendship!=)
    Please, follow me on Bloglovin, if you will like my blog: Kisses From Europe
    I will follow you via Bloglovin;) Let's support each other! ^^
    Love&kiss!

    ReplyDelete

Watch Me In Videos

Whats Trending

Advertise Here