Lips That Speak Volumes

Saturday, October 04, 2014


Small, dry, uneven lips - I have them all. And while I focus too much on my eyes every single time, sometimes, I just do want to give attention to my lips despite all these. And when I do, this is how put volume to it. And I will speak. =)

WATCH BELOW

Products used to volumize lips
Concealing and Moisturizing lip - with flash, Iris blur to focus on center
1. CONCEAL & MOISTURIZE
The skin around the lips is the hardest to control especially for me. When you smile, speak and eat, there's a lot of movement so coverage is needed with a good concealer that has both Also, of course, the lips can be driest area of the face so a balm would always be necessary even if a lip color is matte. Check out Carmex or Burt's Bees which are not too glossy and can work with matte lippies.

Preparing lips - with flash, Iris blur to focus on center

2. PREP + PRIME
As with any color application, a good base is needed. I love MAC's Prep + Prime.

Defining the Cupid's Bow - with flash, Iris blur to focus on center
Liplining stroke - with flash, Iris blur to focus on center

3. CONTOUR (IF NECESSARY, WHERE NEEDED)
For me, it is the upper lip that needs volume more than the other because of my weird "underbite" teeth structure. If you have the same case, you can do this technique that I learned from the workshop I collaborated with MAC. Draw an "X" to determine where the you would contour and/or highlight and to create a sharper "cupid's bow".

Liplining - with flash, Iris blur to focus on center

4. LINE AND DEFINE
It is best to line the lips following the natural structure, using a pigmented lip pencil like MAKE UP FOR EVER, but make it more intense in the area where needed.

Lipstick stroke - with flash, Iris blur to focus on center


5. APPLY COLOUR IN A DOWNWARD STROKE 

Fill in lines and cracks! - I learned this technique from the fabulous Bianca Valerio in the Color Collection launch. She taught us that as with the vertical stroke for foundation applications so not to counteract with the small hairs in the face, the cracks and lines of the lips appear vertically as well so lipstick should follow that. Typically we would just swipe it horizontally and let the lower and upper lip mix, but doing the above makes lines and cracks disappear, especially with matte lippies.

Contoured lip - with flash, Iris blur to focus on center

Contoured lip - with flash, Iris blur to focus on center
6. COLOR IT!

Redefining lip - with flash, Iris blur to focus on center

7. BE BRAVE TO CORRECT
as with any application of cosmetics. There's a concealer and pencil out there to further define your lips.

Placing lip gloss - with flash, Iris blur to focus on center

8. HIGHLIGHT, WHERE NEEDED
Normally, we would place lip gloss on every portion of the lips and so that would make it look like you have just eaten an oily dish. I learned this as well from the MAC technique by Gregory Alt and it makes sense!! The same theory is with contouring/highlighting the face. Apply the gloss only on the portion where you need to make it appear fuller (remember: gloss or light colors pop). As for me, I placed it on my upper lip, just below the lip line. MAC Lip glass is the most shimmery that I've tried but I also like Stila and Bobbi Brown high-shimmer Lip Glosses.

Highlighted Lips with MAC Sounds Like Noise and Bobbi Brown High Shimmer Lip Gloss - with flash, Iris blur to focus on center

So there, of course, regardless of the structure, always wear the right color. My favorite? Of course, ORANGE! The one below I used below is MAC So Chaud =)


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Watch Me In Videos

Whats Trending

Advertise Here