BEYOND BEAUTY


Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

Best of Sample Room


This month marks my 2nd year anniversary as a Sample Room partner blogger. I've been very blessed to be part of this community which believes that trying or sampling a product is a first before buying a beauty product. With the help of fellow beauty bloggers and a community of educated consumers, opinions

I haven't posted a lot when it comes to skin and body care which comprise most of the samples in the website, but I have tried some of the below top products in my opinion and will be sharing these in this post.

VIEW MORE BELOW

The new Sample Room bag designed by Arlene Chua. This was launched last year.

My Sample Room favorites come usually from the 2014 batch, highlighting light weight moisturizers, natural ingredients (I'll review Burt's Bees separately ;). But I really like that Sample Room provides full-sized products for the community  (almost always!)  so that the reviews are more credible and the experiences are more holistic. 




1. A NATURAL NUTRACEUTICAL
When products contain skin's own ingredients, I am really driven to try them because they cannot harm the body or skin so much. Collagen, for example, is found naturally in our body to enhance firmness and elasticity of the skin. We have a lot of these drinks and powders in the market, but I specifically like this one from Belo because it has a combo with Hyaluronic acid. 



I am quite familiar with Hyaluronic acid because I've studied this a lot of times before, and I really like how it provides deep moisturization in the skin (see above video for more information). I tried this Belo drink for 4 weeks (2 boxes) and I felt improvements which I saw when my nails got stronger, and my body smoother. I rarely drink water and usually my lips and cuticles always get dry but I noticed imrpovements in these as well. The only downside is the taste, but when mixed with coffee or milk (since it has a vanilla flavor), it can be consumed daily.


2. MOISTURIZERS LITE
Because I have oily skin, I am really picky when it comes to moisturizers (which are needed regardless of skin type). If you are like me who can consume a pack of oil control film in 2 weeks, one has to scrutinize texture and finish. Sample Room launched several moisturizers, skin care lines, etc but below are my top picks. 

Olay Acquaction - Contrary to my an old impression that Olay is a thick and creamy moisturizer, the new moisture line is exactly the opposite which will work wonders for oily/acne-prone skin. It is truly like water in terms of feel and finish! Unlike others which are watery but become sticky when dried, the whole line (including the sleeping mask) can be used before makeup or any powerful skin care routine. I have nothing negative to say just to say it because I think I found THE moisturizer (Thanks also to The Beauty Junkee for encouraging to let me try this!). I also didn't experience any breakout from this product. 

H2O - a marine-based line of products for different skin types, priced higher than the department store brands, H2O is a nice brand for those who want to level up their natural skin care routine. Sample Room released different samples and I tried of some them and noticed how they get easily absorbed by my skin (though become sticky when layered) but I didn't notice any significant difference when it comes to the other promises of anti-aging. The best ones are the cleansing products - the Aqualibrium Marine Cleansing Gel, all of the cleansing waters, and the Face Oasis Dual-Action Exfoliating Cleanser. Even with thick makeup and even if the products are perceived as just "water", they clean very well without drying skin too much. 

Laneige - This relatively expensive Korean brand is known for its moisturizing power but they don't feel too thick or sticky. My favorite is the Water Bank Essence and Sleeping Mask which provide hydration and clearing/brightening effect. 

Glam Glow Hydrating Treatment - I also placed this as one of the best products launched last year because unlike the other Glam Glow products which can make skin a little bit dry, this one really moisturizes instantly and clears like magic. This one was not sampled because it was launched Q4 last year, but all the others were and I observed a similarity when it comes to clearing and beautifying the overall appearance of skin instantly after use. I usually use this before a big event - before applying makeup (and sometimes overnight) and I wake up not needing moisturizers or even fixing waters! It's quite expensive but mine is still half-full (also, you don't use this everyday after all). 



3. CLEAR & NATURAL
Himalaya Herbals - There were 5 products released by Himalaya which are mainly produced in Dubai and India. My favorites were the cleansers., especially the Purifying Neem line (toner, scrub, foam cleanser) I loved how the products are free from harmful chemicals like Paraben, SLS, etc and how hypoallergenic they were. I also noticed how they didn't dry skin despite its power to purify and help acne-prone skin.

Belo Acne Pro - I was really impressed by this line because of the purified bee venom which is studied to reduce inflammation (which causes acne as well) and treat moderate acne. I tried the whole line for a month and I was in love with the scent (not too strong) and the texture (which are gel-like). My favorite was the Pimple Gel as it helped my occasional pimples heal. I use it now with my other acne-reducing skin care routine. However, the toner quite dries the skin so moisturizer is needed while the face wash doesn't foam so much (so make sure to massage very well). Also, I be careful not to put so much product on the nose and laugh lines as these are sensitive areas that may react differently. Overall, I really recommend this to people who have acne-prone skin like mine!


4. IN SHOWER EMULSIONS
Lately, I've been addicted to body washes, gels and in-shower products. I think that shower time has been one stress reliever for me for the past weeks! Sample Room has been releasing a lot of them especially this year, but last year, my favorites are the NIVEA In-Shower lotion and Dial Coconut Water Hydrating Body Wash which moisturizes and really makes me feel like I'm on the beach! (Separate reviews with swatches soon)



5. A SKIN VITAMIN
Shiseido, known for its powerful serums, released one that enhances the skin's immune system. In general, Shiseido serums (texture, finish, benefits) work for me and this one, which my mom tried, helped her reduce fine lines and improve general skin health. While there was no big change (which might need more bottles and sustaining usage of this), it gave a nice boost of glow and moisture on the skin. 



5. BETTER MAKE UP 
Except for the H2O marine-based makeup remover which was launched last year and did great in gently removing even thick makeup, I also liked the Benefit primer and Bobbi Brown soothing cleansing oil which were launched in 2013. Benefit Porefessional is one of the true long-lasting and oil-controlling primers I've tried and will be doing reviews of my hardworking primers soon separately. As for Bobbi Brown oil containing Jasmine Flower and sunflower oils, which may seem thick at first, I really liked how deep the cleansing capacity is, and leaving skin really moisturized and purified, without experiencing any break out. 




5. FUN ANTI-BACTERIAL
I love portable alcohols. I usually commute (and do makeup in cabs, eat wherever, haha) and with my super busy lifestyle, a really fragrant, adaptable (with different formats - gel, spray, liquid, in different sizes) and moisturizing disinfectant helps me every day. 



5. GOOD OILS
Like food, there are good and bad oils. I tried a few "all-around" oils (for hair, body, face, hands etc) and the best ones sampled through the website are Cynos' Body & Thairapy and Moringa-O. Cynos' Argan One is really a luxurious one (and smells like real argan too!) which deep moisturizing and gives real nutrition to hair and other parts of the body (I usually put it as well on my feet, hands). It produces a little bit of yellow tint due to the oil, but the texture is quite thick. Overall, one of the best and tru argan oils I've tried. Moringa-O which has sunflower, Malunggay and olive oils is my quick fix for inflammation, irritation, dryness and impurities. it doesn't weigh too much, smells really nice and can be spread easily. I like placing on the scalp (for dandruff), using it as after-shave, and for curing breakouts. As for hair, while it's not oil, the latest one from Vitress has a nice blend of silicones which smoothen hair deeply and cosmetically without the heavy feeling.


How about you? What are you Sample Room favorites?

No comments


BEYOND BEAUTY