BEYOND BEAUTY


Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog

30 Things of 2014


2014 was a big year for beauty and with launches, relaunches and limited editions left and right, online or department store level, it gets exciting but also a bit overwhelming. Sometimes, I still get confused and amazed at the same time whenever I visit a cosmetics store, but below are my favorites from last year that are unique, hard-working and special in their ways!

VIEW MORE BELOW


LIP IS STICK


Last 2014, we have seen lip products that go beyond the normal or the traditional. We have seen lipsticks that give quality + comfort, probably a new generation that doesn't dry too much but gives the color and pigment that we want. Matte has definitely slowed down, and luxury was defined by care. Below is my hit list!

Swatches of Best Lipsticks 2014 product review
Swatches of Best Lipsticks 2014 - 2 coats, with flash
From left to right based on the swatches above,
Guerlain Rouge G* - which I've reviewed here. It's one super pigmented lippy with a luxurious and dimennsional finish and packaging. At first, Guerlain lippies may seem focused on packaging but it does deliver!

Swatch of Bobbi Brown Art Stick in Harlow Red best lipstick product review
Swatch of Bobbi Brown Art Stick in Harlow Red - 2 coats, with flash and Iris blur to focus on center
Bobbi Brown Art Stick* - Launched last April, which I think is the most pigmented among Bobbi's lipsticks famous for its creamy yet pigmented qualities. But this time, the format is in stick which blurs the line between a lipstick and a lip liner, making way for precise application (see above swatch without brush usage). It's also versatile in its coverage (from sheer wash to full). It's not that drying because of Shea butter present in the product. 

MAKE UP FOR EVER Rouge Artist Intense*  - which I've swatched in this orange series. Rouge Artist intense has a nice semi-matte finish that doesn't compromise on colour.

Swatch of Happy Skin Shut Up & Kiss Me in Just Say Yes  best lipstick product review
Swatch of Happy Skin Shut Up & Kiss Me in Just Say Yes - 2 coats, with flash and Iris blur to focus on center
Swatch of Happy Skin Shut Up & Kiss Me in Honeymoon Glow best lipstick product review
Swatch of Happy Skin Shut Up & Kiss Me in Honeymoon Glow - 2 coats, with flash and Iris blur to focus on center
Happy Skin Shut Up & Kiss Me Lippies* - Definitely one of my favorites (quality and price wise) since the launch of the local brand in the Philippines. For me, this is one product that proves the brand's promise to its consumers - makeup that cares for the skin. Indeed, for only PHP 500, I always get moisture and colour that has a nice creamy texture and finish in it. On the arm swatch, one of my favorite hues of the lippy is Under The Sheets (reviewed here for Holiday 2014) but the permanent ones that I also like are neutral/pinkish shades called Honeymoon Glow and Just Say Yes.

Shiseido Lacquer Gloss* - which, for me is the best color and gloss in one, or a lipstick in liquid form. Full review here.

Swatch of NARS Audacious Lipstick in Brigitte  swatch product review best lipstick
Swatch of NARS Audacious Lipstick in Brigitte - 2 swatches, with flash and Iris blur to focus on center
NARS Audacious - Above swatch is on the top of my list, which is one of my latest repurchases, Audacious Brigitte. I've reviewed Kelly in this post, but I think I found the perfect lippy for my dark hair color now, and it's a neutral pink. Versus Shut Up & Kiss Me, Audacious has a less creamy finish that sits beautifully on fine lines. 

L'Oreal Makeup Designer/Paris L'Extraordinaire* - Definitely a new generation of lippies at an affordable price.





LIMIT DOES EXIST

 

There were lots of limited collections launched last year from brands for different categories such as eyes, lips and cheeks. Some went beyond the seasons and there were lots of collaborations! The thing with limited edition's is that it seeks urgency but as for me, I still look at how innovative and unique they are and quite base on it how a brand focused has pushed forward its permanent or core products. Below is my list.

Swatches of Best Eye Shadows product review
Swatches of Best Limited Edition Cosmetics 2014 - 2 coats, with flash
From left to right based on the swatches above,

Swatch of MAKE UP FOR EVER Arty Blossom best eye shadow product review
Swatch of MAKE UP FOR EVER Arty Blossom - 2 coats, with flash
MAKE UP FOR EVER Arty Blossom Palette* - Launched Summer 2014, this palette has a nice selection of colors with new and current shades - some of which I used in this LOTD. I like the sheer finish and texture of the pigments but I still like the quality of the mono's/Artist Shadows. Nonetheless, the colors and sheer effect look pretty.

NARS Duo Eye Shadow in Dolomites best eye shadow product review
Swatch of NARS Duo Eye Shadow in Dolomites - 2coats, with flash
NARS Duo Eyeshadow - From the Holiday 2014 collection, this one gives a brilliant combination of color.
Swatch of Stila Eyes are Windows Palette in Soul  best eye shadow product review
Swatch of Stila Eyes are Windows Palette in Soul - 2 coats, with flash
Stila Eyes are Windows Palette* - One of the best in colour cosmetics, Stila produced series of limited edition palettes that contain the brand's best-selling hues. Featured in this LOTD, I really love how easy it is to transfer and blend these pigments.

MAC Pedro Lourenco Blush Duo* - MAC launched different collaborations with designers/artists this year and one of my fav is the collection with Pedro Lourenco because of how the colors were chosen and packaged. I got the Blush Duo which looks sheer yet luxurious with a flushed effect.

Laura Mercier Metallic Eye Colour* - From the limited collection last Spring-Summer 2014, this permanent product now has great texture and finish that mimicks heavy metals.

Swatch of MAC Rocky Horror Picture Show Collection in Strange Journey  best lipstick
Swatch of MAC Rocky Horror Picture Show Collection in Strange Journey - 2 coats, with flash and Iris blur to focus on center
MAC Rocky Horror Picture Show Collection in Frank N' Furter  Swatch Product review best lipstick
Swatch of MAC Rocky Horror Picture Show Collection in Frank N' Furter - 2 coats, with flash and Iris blur to focus on center
MAC Rocky Horror Picture Show Collection - On the top of my limited edition list is the Rocky Horror collection which I'm a fan of! The LE products are unique in its hues (like the above deep wine and brick red/orange shades that I bought) and true to the film! Of course, the packaging is really nice!


ALL THAT BASE



I have been loyal to a lot of bases and foundations but 2014 gave way for a lot more (separate post for this). Primers, powders and BB-CC-ZZ creams were dominant and below are some year favorites!

Shiseido Sun* -
Missha BB Cream*
Avon CC Cream* -
MAC Studio Fix & Pump -
Laura Mercier Foundation Primer Radiance* -
Laura Mercier* -



COLORED!!


It was also the time to amp up the color game. These permanent color cosmetics definitely caught my attention.

Best Eye Shadow Color product review swatches
Swatches of Best Color Cosmetics 2014 - 2 coats, with flash

On the top of the list is the MAKEUP FOR EVER artist shadows that I've reviewed here. Unfortunately, I was not able to include it here because it got lost when I lost my makeup kit! =( Hoever, below are ones that were interesting for me as well.
From (left-right) based on swatches,

Swatch of NARS Dual Intensity Eye Shadow in Callisto best eye shadow product review
Swatch of NARS Dual Intensity Eye Shadow in Callisto - 2 coats, with flash
NARS Dual Intensity Eye Shadow*  - As i reviewed here. I saw from Temptalia that there is a palette for this line and I hope they launch it here too! I am a fan of shimmery products but I really like how intense the shimmer of this is. It's probably one of the brightest pigments that I've ever seen and it's perfect for taking EOTD's to the next level!

Maybelline Color Ink - which I've been waiting for since its global launch. Consistency and pigmentation are way beyond its price, but while staying power is not that good, the amount of creativity that it can give in terms of coverage and colour is worth the peso that I paid for this when I bought it.

MAC Mineralize X 4* - which I've reviewed here. The consistency is a bit lacking but the texture and finish is subtle - like a Mineral - with shimmers that compliment the base color.

Swatch of Happy Skin All Eyes on Hue best eye shadow product review
Swatch of Happy Skin All Eyes on Hue - 2 coats, with flash
Happy Skin All Eyes on Hue* - which for me is one affordable colour find that can be comparable to other brands. The texture and finish is creamy and full, and consistency is perfect. I wish Happy Skin can further their colors as they look and feel great!

Happy Skin Sculptacular* - that has a nice subtle bronzing/highlighting effect. The contour is not so dark or light, while the highlighter doesn't have a white cast and only produces a luminous sheer non-shimmery highlight. Love the cheat sheets too of Happy Skin!
Swatch of Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Sparkle Shadow/Liner best eye shadow eye line rproduct review
Swatch of Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Sparkle Shadow/Liner in Smokey Topaz - 2 coats, with flash
Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Sparkle Shadow/Liner* - a duo that has a luxurious effect (fine, pretty shimmers) and staying power that goes beyond ordinary. Launched last holiday 2014, and will now be a permanent one, the flexibility of it as a liner and as a shadow is also really recommendable.




SKIN COMMITMENT



Last 2014, I started investing on skin care and luckily, a lot of them were launched and reintroduced. Glam Glow, Philosophy and Yllume came in the industry, while Burt's Bees launched a lot of winning products.. Below are my favorites:

Philosophy Full of Promise* - Philosophy which was relaunched early this year was something I explored this year. One of my favorites from the line is this anti-ageing/lifting range called Full of Promise. I have emptied this moisturizer and I have noticed a bit more refined contour, as unique protein-recycling complex powered by proprietary peptides and marine microalgae works to breathe new life into existing proteins for skin restoration. I also have the eye duo and will share more about this soon!
Burt's Bees Daisy White Line* (which I'll review in detail) as this is one of my ultimate skin brightening and improving treatment. I noticed better skin condition (less dullness) every time I cleanse-tone-moisturize using this range.
Yllume* - probably one of the best I've tried this year as well. A derma brand, Yllume gives so much illuminating and perfecting skin care benefits, from cleansers to mask (and even supplements!) My favorite is the cleanser and mask which I've noticed to improve my blemishes. Full Reviews soon as well.
Glam Glow* - A Hollywood favorite launched early this year which I've reviewed here, this is one instant solution for everything and anything skin. There were lots of variants launched this year too and will review some as well soon!

No comments


BEYOND BEAUTY